- At-sea sampling of lobster catch and incidental catch
- Tagging of lobster to assess growth rates and movement
- Blood protein analysis and molt staging (both during and after the fishing season)
- Study on the effectiveness of trap escape mechanisms
- Collaboration with the Lobster node of the Canadian Fisheries Research Network (funded by NSERC) on a variety of projects:
- Abundance, size and quality of egg-bearing females to assess larval production
- Research on genetic markers to understand lobster population genetics
- Research on female egg production to understand the increase in poor egg coverage
- Research on egg-bearing females to predict hatching period.
- Larval drift models
- Lobster larval tows to monitor larval period and density
- Collaboration with the Fishermen and Scientists Research Society (FSRS) on coastal water temperature monitoring and juvenile recruitment
- Data contributions for the Stock Assessments performed by DFO Science.
- Collaboration with the Coastal Zone Research Institute on a study of lipid analysis of larvae.
- Collaboration with the DFO on the proposed St. Ann’s Bank Marine Protected Area
- Implementation of vote on a size increase as recommended by the Maritime Lobster Panel: from Canadian market size (81mm) to the American market size (82.5mm)
- Sponsoring workshops on Lobster Quality and Handling
- Monitoring of the lobster fishery in an area potentially affected by the Maritime Link project (Power Cable from Newfoundland to NS).
- Member of the Client Group seeking Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certification of the inshore lobster fishery in NS and NB (Nova Scotia/New Brunswick Lobster Eco-certification Society).
- Dissemination of information on the struggle to maintain the Owner-Operator and Fleet Separation Policies of DFO.
- Commissioned a study on the Financial Viability of the Lobster Fishery
- Served as information hub for the price protest in the Spring of 2013
- Presentation to the Maritime Lobster Panel inquiring on protest issues
- Serving as a venue for lobster representatives to discuss issues and priorities outside of the formal committee set up by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans
- Assisting the NS Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture (NSDFA) to disseminate information on Fish Harvesters Organizations Support Act (FHOSA).
- Member of the Lobster Council of Canada
- Assisting the Lobster Council of Canada to disseminate their proposal for a 1-cent levy collection for Canadian lobster marketing and branding.
- Advisory committee for the Cape Breton Local Food Hub — a collaborative effort of the 4 Cape Breton counties to increase local food consumption and distribution.
- Collaborated with Dalhousie on a study for local marketing of lobster