Welcome to Cape Breton Fish Harvesters Association!
The Cape Breton Fish Harvesters Association is an accredited non-profit association that was established in 2011, we are managed by a volunteer board of ten directors all of whom are local fish harvesters. Our board represents members from Bay St. Lawrence to Gabarus. We are an organization that represents more than 200 members in Eastern Cape Breton. We provide effective communication between members, industry, DFO, Transport Canada, NS Occupational Health & Safety, and work with other associations on issues of Owner/Operator and research projects.
We provide the following services for membership:
- Help with National Online Licensing (NOLs)
- Provide multiple species log books and tag suppliers
- Provide updates on industry information
- We voice for fishermen at industry tables and meetings
- Conduct at-sea sampling with student technicians during the summer to research the sustainability of the lobster industry, collect data on by-catch species, protein sampling, larval tows, etc. With the data we collect, we provide our captains with all our information we find.